[fpc-devel] Porting fpc to linux-sparc64

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Mon May 29 22:22:33 CEST 2017

Am 29.05.2017 um 10:37 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
>> And/or completely unprepared for 64bit in any way.
>
> I actually don't think there would be much work necessary. fpc already
> supports SPARCv9 which is actually by default a 64-bit architecture
> (also known as UltraSPARC).

Well, fpc has a SPARCv9 switch, but it does little to none and it was only supposed to enable
SPARCv9 instructions in 32 bit only mode. SPARC64 is another story: it needs some more work, it is
basically a new target for the compiler though a lot of code can be reused from SPARC32. I am also
interested on working on a SPARC64. Actually, several weeks ago, I literally un-dusted my Ultra 5
which sat in the attic for years. But I did not start to work on the port yet, but I still plan to
do so, so at a certain point access to a fast SPARC64 machine would be nice indeed.