[fpc-devel] First pas2js public release

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 10:40:48 CET 2017

On 18/12/17 08:59, Michael Schnell wrote:
> Great !
>
> Thanks a lot to all who  enabled this fantastic enhancement to the
> fpc system !
>
> I have been dreaming of being able to "simply run" Lazarus projects
> (and legacy Delphi-) ) in a server and have the GUI displayed in a
> browser.
>
> This seems to get in reach right now :) :)  :) .  (OK, splitting the
> project in a server and a browser part and communication between the
> parts will not be automatically done in very near future, but who
> knows ....)

If I Understand This Correctly,

pas2js treated program would run in a browser, client side only ?
And does not care what the server is, because it does not run on server ?

For 'server' side you then write 'as usual' e.g. cgi or other way available
(server-native binary)

(Nothing stops really the server-side-native binary (e.g. written in Pascal)
 from sending a pas2js transpiled program to the browser as a part of a 'html page'/script,
 but the line of separation is pretty clear here : this is like doing Graeme's favorite GUI to non-gui portion separation ';)
 but still YOU are doing the separation manually - you need to write BOTH portions separately)

For communication between the browser end and the server end, there are ways covered
(AJAX ?) not much different than the usual (js in browser <-> java/php/perl/python/server side js in server)
LAMP stack does.

(I sincerely hope I understand this right).

-L.