[fpc-devel] Building 2.7.1 on current Raspbian fails

Paul Michell Paul at michellcomputing.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 12:09:59 CEST 2014

On Sunday 19 Oct 2014 02:32:49 peter green wrote:
> Paul Michell wrote:
> > I'm currently trying to build 2.7.1 from SVN on the latest Raspbian (2014-09-09).
> > I've previously built this with either 2.6.0 from the repository, or with Thaddy de Koning's build from March 2014.
> >
> > Currently, neither of these will build 2.7.1 on a Raspberry Pi.  So I have also tried with the generic arm-linux
> > release archive (fpc-2.6.4.arm-linux.tar).  This installed without error and I can compile projects on the Pi with it.
> >
> What errors are you getting when you try to build with the fpc from the
> repository.

I'm sorry, I didn't record them at the time. I will need to re-run it later this week to find out.

> Have you tried the 2.6.2 version from raspbian jessie?

No, I thought 2.6.0 was the latest FPC on raspbian?

> I should probablly get arround to doing a raspbian version of 2.6.4.

Yes please :)

> > However, when trying to build 2.7.1 (make all) it creates a compiler binary, but fails whilst compiling fpmake.
> > This looks similar to the bug 0024056 which is flagged as resolved.  The solution suggested there is to install
> > build-essential, but this is installed by default on Raspbian, so I think there must be something else wrong?
> Most likely you are trying to build an armel compiler rather than an
> armhf one.

Yes you are right, it does produce armel by default

> It may be possible to bootstrap an armhf compiler off an armel one with
> the right settings but it's something I haven't tried in a while.

That is what I was intending to try.
Previously I have used Thaddy's armhf build as my seed compiler.