[fpc-devel] Building 2.7.1 on current Raspbian fails

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Sun Oct 19 03:32:49 CEST 2014

Paul Michell wrote:
> I'm currently trying to build 2.7.1 from SVN on the latest Raspbian (2014-09-09).
> I've previously built this with either 2.6.0 from the repository, or with Thaddy de Koning's build from March 2014.
>
> Currently, neither of these will build 2.7.1 on a Raspberry Pi.  So I have also tried with the generic arm-linux
> release archive (fpc-2.6.4.arm-linux.tar).  This installed without error and I can compile projects on the Pi with it.

What errors are you getting when you try to build with the fpc from the
repository.

Have you tried the 2.6.2 version from raspbian jessie?

I should probablly get arround to doing a raspbian version of 2.6.4.
> However, when trying to build 2.7.1 (make all) it creates a compiler binary, but fails whilst compiling fpmake.
> This looks similar to the bug 0024056 which is flagged as resolved.  The solution suggested there is to install
> build-essential, but this is installed by default on Raspbian, so I think there must be something else wrong?
Most likely you are trying to build an armel compiler rather than an
armhf one.

It may be possible to bootstrap an armhf compiler off an armel one with
the right settings but it's something I haven't tried in a while.