[fpc-devel] Re: FPC related fairy tale

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:56:13 CEST 2012

Am 19.10.2012 13:10, schrieb Michael Schnell:
 > On 10/18/2012 05:58 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
 >>  Pierre was right. M68k is BACK!
 > GREAT ! Thanks a lot.
 >
 > We just developed a board featuring a "Fido" chip by Innovasic. The
 > prototype is sitting on my desk since the beginning of this week.
 >
 > Fido is a very nice upgrade to the Mortorola 68332 chip
 > (hardware-multi-threaded <i.e. five automatically switching register
 > sets>,  66 MHz instead of 16, four versatile 8 Bit coprocessors instead
 > of one "Time machine coprocessor", two DMA controllers instead of none,
 > a decent amount of internal memory, external SDRAM possible, ...).
 >
 > So I would able and happy to do some tests with the 68 K cross-compiler,
 > if same can do code for a no-MMU hardware without a "normal" OS.

The question is in how far the Fido is compatible with the Motorola
CPUs. The Coldfire for example imposes several restrictions to a.g.
memory accesses and the instruction set in general (which shows in some
of the changes I have done). If they are mostly similar one could add a
new "fido" cpu type to address special issues.

Also please keep in mind that currently neither the heap manager nor
stdio nor (likely) exceptions are working correctly. I need to address
these issues first so that the port becomes fully useable again (as the
target is to have again a native m68k-linux compiler).

Regards,
Sven