[fpc-devel] Testing MIPS: newbie questions

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 21:57:08 CEST 2012

Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
>   I have a small batch that I use for cross-compilation
> from i386-win32 to mips(el)-linux.
>
> E:\pas\trunk\fpcsrc\compiler>type  mipsel-cycle.bat
> set CUR_FPC_VER=2.7.1
> if "%1" == "cont" goto cont
> make cycle OPT="-gl -al -n -O- -Ur -vw" OS_TARGET=linux CPU_TARGET=mipsel
> ALLOW_WARNINGS=1
> if errorlevel 1 goto error
> pscp -load gccmips .\ppcmipsel gcc42.fsffrance.org:bin
> copy ppcrossmipsel.exe \pas\fpc-%CUR_FPC_VER%\bin\i386-win32
> make -C ../rtl install FPC=ppcrossmipsel.exe PREFIX=/pas/fpc-%CUR_FPC_VER%
> cd utils
> del gppc386
> make FPC=/pas/trunk/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcrossmipsel OPT=-gl clean all gppc386
> pscp -load gccmips .\gppc386 gcc42.fsffrance.org:bin/gppcmipsel
> cd ..
> goto end
> :error
> echo An error occurred
> :end
>
> This uploads a native mipsel compiler that
> is usable (at least as long as you don't work with too recent GNU as/ld,

Turned out I'd still got some old symlinks from when I was tinkering
with David Zhang's stuff. RTL now OK, I'll try a full build in the morning.

> muller at gcc42:~/pas/test$ ppcmipsel hello.pp
> Assembler messages:
> Error: -march=mips2 is not compatible with the selected ABI
> hello.pp(14,18) Error: Error while assembling exitcode 1
> hello.pp(14,18) Fatal: There were 2 errors compiling module, stopping
> Fatal: Compilation aborted
> muller at gcc42:~/pas/test$ as --version
> GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.23.51.20121004

Thanks for the warning. I'm on 2.20.1, looks like the version number
window is quite tight.

>  So most of the problems described in
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Native_MIPS_Systems
> should not be present anymore...

I'll update that presently. What I want to try doing first is running
the compiler natively (hosted by Qemu), later I might try putting it on
real hardware but I anticipate the endianness issue will take some work.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk