[fpc-devel] Arm Hardfloat

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at gmx.at
Thu Oct 4 21:54:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 21:30 +0200, Den Jean wrote:
> On Thursday 04 October 2012 21:09:55 Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> > I put an armhf snapshot from today at
> > http://members.yline.com/~tom_at_work/fpc-2.7.1.arm-linux.tar.gz .

> I was going to do the same thing :-)
> Do you have more experiemce with fpc and armhf, any problems
> you are aware of?

Daily testsuite results are available for both armel (2.6.0/fixes and
2.7.0/trunk, for a long time now) and armhf (only 2.7.0, for a few weeks
iirc).

See
http://www.freepascal.org/testsuite/cgi-bin/testsuite.cgi?action=1&run1id=120732&run2id=120748&noskipped=1&failedonly=1

for comparison, and

http://www.freepascal.org/testsuite/cgi-bin/testsuite.cgi?action=1&run1id=120732&run2id=&noskipped=1&failedonly=1

for specific results.

Basically the difference between armel and armhf are
  - fpc cannot create valid armhf shared libraries

Other problems common to both (just from interpreting the testsuite
results, filtering known failing tests):
  - there are issues with threading/synchronization (test machine is a
quad-core box, previous test machine was single core where as usual such
problems don't show up)
  - fpu exceptions/setting fpu exception mask seem to not work
  - some problems with fpc resources

> > will see if I can figure out how to do automatic uploads from the fpc
> > testsuite runs on a daily basis.
> > Btw, native compilation of a snapshot/zipinstall takes ~11mins on that
> > arm machine - it's not that slow
>
> If you are trying all compilation options, it is.
> I also only have 128MB. If do not know if it affects fpc compilation,

The old build machine has only 64MB RAM (600 Mhz ARM11), so yes, it is
possible, although somewhat slowly.

> Does this mean you can compile the fpc trunk compiler natively ?
> I will try now anyhow using the cross generated one.

Yes. Probably one of the first milestones for a new arch is self-hosting
(if possible at all).

Thomas