[fpc-devel] Bounty for MIPS

Jy V jyv110 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 11:33:44 CET 2012

Hello to all possible interested MIPS hackers,

as I read the wiki page
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Native_MIPS_Systems
it looks like actual status of FPC for MIPS is a little behind the head
development and stalled at some point as described by Mark,

I do plan to use FPC for MIPS with OpenWRT on MIPS embedded devices such as
NetGear WNDR3800,
and "hack for the poor" the low end 20 euros device TPLINK TL-WR703N,

I am ready to offer a reasonable bounty to get motivated anyone that would
help to catchup the MIPS support as of current state of FPC (2.6),
for each of the following item:
1. compiling a program for OpenWRT MIPS from a PC Linux x64 (or Windows
x64, up to your choice to simplify) (command line as a first step if this
is easier)
2. compiling a program for OpenWRT MIPS from Lazarus IDE on a PC Linux x64
(or Windows x64, up to your choice to simplify)
3. remote debugging in a QEMU MIPS VM running on the host Linux x64 (or
Windows x64, up to your choice to simplify)
4. remote debugging of the target embedded device from the development PC
Linux x64 (or Windows x64, up to your choice to simplify)

I would provide WNDR3800 hardware for development/testing, or any other
MIPS device of your choice that would make sense to build the toolchain
required,

by the way, I will be at Fosdem during next week-end, if anyone would like
to discuss the options and details about porting FPC to MIPS,

Cordially, Jerome.

PS: I am following the FPC and Lazarus development for multiple years,
maintaining XMLRAD application server compiling for FPC on Win x86/x64 and
Linux X86/x64 (a 500KLOC),
and my feeling about FPC which is targeting multiple architectures, despite
the huge improvement of Lazarus
is that it lacks integrated toolchain for cross-compile environment and
debugging from a single IDE.