[fpc-devel] rev 19036 breaks the Android cross-compiler

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 16:06:51 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Google does not state that its OS is Linux compatible, thus in theory they
> can add, modify or delete syscalls of the OS. While an addition is no
> problem for FPC and its RTL, a modification or deletion is.

I decided to ask Google what they think about this statement:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-ndk/browse_thread/thread/3247d4a02d3e530c

Their answer:

<quote>
The Android team has not intention to delete or modify syscalls, that
would be crazy.

On the other hand, there is no guarantee on the exact set of syscalls
or config options supported by a given device kernel.

When it comes to simple runtime syscalls, these shouldn't be a
problem, and would advise you to keep doing what you're doing.
</quote>

So from their answer I understand that we can keep using the syscalls
which are currently using, although of course the answer was not
cristal clear. Changing to libc could also bring issues and if it is
not broken I would not change what is done now.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho