[fpc-devel] rev 19036 breaks the Android cross-compiler

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at gmx.at
Tue Nov 15 15:31:48 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 14:34 +0100, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Thomas Schatzl <tom_at_work at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Patches that add a new target are welcome (or other contributions to
> > that effect that are not hacks).
>
> If noone can do anything about this then I propose to fork a new
> android target out of linux without using code from linux but instead
> just copying everything and making the Android fixes.

It's not that much of work as it sounds, but still somebody needs to
commit to it, preferably not only as a one-shot effort. The changes
should be regularly verified and tested too (say: at release time).

What you propose may be a short-term solution to the problem. If others
are okay with that, I won't object to put any "short-term" hacks (that
usually persist until the end of time) into the svn under a define.

> > Unfortunately I cannot really help with
> > coding, but I can help with explaining what/where to change, due to lack
> > of hardware.
>
> If that is the only problem you should know that the Android SDK comes
> with an emulator and there are instructions about how to install and
> use it here:
>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Android_Interface/Using_the_Android_SDK%2C_Emulator_and_Phones#Using_the_Emulator

I do know that, I tried it once or twice. It takes ages to start up and
it's sluggish beyond usefulness on my venerable single-core 1.5Ghz
P-M... which is the fastest x86 computer I own.

Apart from that, time is also an issue, sorry. It took at least a few
months until I managed to complete r19036 - not because it's that much
code but looking for documentation, finding out the issue, digging
through libc source code and then verifying and testing for multiple
platforms just takes time (and repeat everything after any last-minute
change). I'm simply usually either busy or too tired to start hacking at
10/11pm just for one or two hours.
I will try and see what I can do, but e.g. that associated bugtracker
issue (18833) about the broken shared library startup code for android
has already been in the bugtracker for 9 months...

Hth,
  Thomas