[fpc-devel] New FPC target: JVM

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Aug 20 17:54:47 CEST 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:02:17 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 August 2011 13:30, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> >
> > I ask because Android does not use Java Bytecode, it has it's own,
> > completely different bytecode.
>
> Why did Google do that?

Why don't you google yourself?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=android+byte+code

> Why not stay with the standardized Java and
> get the benefits of all existing Java and Mobile Java apps?

What benefits do you miss?

> Sometimes these software vendors can be really brain dead!

Let's summarize. You

1. do not understand something
2. ask this list
3. do not wait for the answer
4. call it "brain dead"

That is not very clever, is it?
I guess some people would call this "brain dead".

> They just
> love proprietary or incompatible stuff. Java was designed to be
> compatible on all platforms, now Android calls it "java", but it's not
> compatible with Sun/Oracle's Java. This sounds just like what
> Microsoft did years ago - luckily Sun put a stop to that.
>
> I don't know much about Android, but just when I thought it sounded
> great, I hear things like this. :-(

Java is just a language. Normally you need the jdk and
some third party libs. And here you got the x-platform problems. I
know some projects that had too many problems porting their
java projects and switched to fpc.

A jvm backend for fpc is great. I hope it is not too much work to
maintain.

Mattias