[fpc-devel] TFPHashList (Was: Alternative parsers)

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 12:27:02 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 21:21, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> In our previous episode, Alexander Klenin said:
>> One day all this obfuscation may prevent some higher-level optimization,
>> like multi-threading or built-in linking,
>
> Major work like that is already always combined with major refactoring and
> rewriting, so that is unlikely, and they touch totally different systems
> (frontend vs backend)

I am not sure I understood you point.
Is not your whole argument that the refactoring is bad/not needed?

>> PChars, on the other hand, require manual memory management
>> which is the source of bugs.
>
> Point out the example of bugs. (ones that matter, not the stylistic ones)

This sub-thread was started by mentioning the series of errors
my student made when trying to implement case of string.
Most of them was due to the fact the code used pchars and records
instead of strings and (hierarchy of) objects.
Surely, a more qualified developer would probably have avoided these,
but still I think this is a good demonstration of adverse side-effects
of micro-optimizations.

--
Alexander S. Klenin