[fpc-devel] FPC/Delphi/FastMM4/TopMemory speed test

Adem listmember at letterboxes.org
Sun Jul 18 11:34:56 CEST 2010

  On 2010-07-18 11:41, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> /usr/lib/fpc/2.4.1/units/i386
>
> Translate this to some windows paths you like and adapt your fpc.cfg.
Quick question. I took a look at 'Installing Lazarus' [
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus ] and all the
examples for paths have no spaces in them.

Indeed, in my fpc.cfg, all paths are spaceless, such as
'c:\Lazarus\fpc\2.4.3/units/$FPCTARGET/'

There's also a special warning against them in the FAQ: "3. Check if the
compiler *installation path has spaces* in it. *Make sure it doesn't!*"
[ http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#I_can.27t_compile_Lazarus ]

Is there a fundamental (still valid) reason for not being able to have
it something like "c:\Program Files\Lazarus\fpc\2.4.3/units/$FPCTARGET/"
at least under Windows?

It goes against everything we're accustomed to these days.

What would it take to remove that limitation, I wonder?
> Keep in mind that Lazarus and FPC are separate things and that only the
> windows installer puts fpc in a sub directory of the lazarus
> directory.
OK. I usually do my development under Windows and when I have to compile
on Linux, I install Lazarus/FPC from a package and not worry about its
internals.
> You can easily use one lazarus with several fpcs and they can share
> the same fpc source directory.
I am assuming this is optional. I.e., you can alson opt not to share a
common source directory as well.
>> I think the reason why they didn't is because both installations share
>> the same data folder i.e. C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus
>>
>> Hence, both the x86 and x64 versions share the information stored under
>> that folder --which screws up things.
>>
>> A better solution, IMO, would be to use both the patform and version
>> numbers; so that workdirs become:
>>
>> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win32\2.4.0
>> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win32\2.4.3
>> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win64\2.4.0
>> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win64\2.4.3
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> This way, I can have several different versions live under the same
>> $username.
> Feel free to do so.
But, that would mean also altering how Lazarus behaves (under Windows at
least). I doubt if I could get past the inertia.
Not knowing who to talk to is immensely discouraging.
>> One more thing: Lazarus, when uninstalled, removes neither its install
>> folder, nor its workdir; which it should.
> I don't know the internals of the windows installer.
> Maybe Vincent knows.
My ideal installer would also be able to download only the sources and
build them locally --instead of downloading a much bigger binary package.

I wonder if this would be possible. or even generally desirable.