[fpc-devel] Coco/R usage for FPC

Aleksa Todorovic alexione at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:56:42 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:44, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [snip
>
> I gather FPC doesn't use something like this?  If so, any specific
> reason why not? It seems like a very easy way to extend the language
> though. Simply describe the syntax and another program generates the
> code.
>
> Here is more information on Wikipedia about Coco/R
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco/R

Coco/R is good tool, we used it on University at Compiler Construction
course (Modula2 was our official language), but it is nowhere powerful
enough for FPC's needs (just think of syntax modes). It's easier to
learn about scanners/parsers/tokens and implement it manually than to
use Coco/R. Plus, you get better understanding of [part of] compiler
internals.

Regards,
Aleksa