[fpc-devel] libgdb: preferred version and whence?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 14:07:21 CEST 2008

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> The Debian source package appears to basically be gdb which builds
> libgdb as a side-effect. It compiles OK on an ARM but there are errors
> when I try to use it as part of the fpc build with "GDB_V607=1" (which
> seemed like a good starting position).
>
> I'll look around for 6.7 and try building it on i386 and SPARC before
> having another attempt on ARM.

Best practice appears to be to make sure the gdb binary is installed, to
get the corresponding gdb source package (e.g. from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/) to build that and then copy across libgdb.a
etc. to the fpc source tree. The wrong version of gdb might not build
properly, for example Debian Sarge and Etch on i386 support 6.3 but to
work on ARM requires 6.4. Debian Lenny includes gdb 6.8, I haven't been
able to build fpc on an older system using this version and haven't yet
tried on Lenny.

I've now got fpc 2.2.2 (optimised, including the fp IDE) running on
Debian ARM (little-endian) including debugger operation inside fp. I'd
like to try getting a big-endian ARM system running but don't know how
quickly I can manage that. i386 on NT and Debian Sarge is OK, SPARC
remains a problem.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk