[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 12:05:29 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Daniƫl Mantione
> <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> As a workaround, it can be converted into a normal breaking space. There is
>> no proper solution, MBCS requires it to be a string rather than a char, but
>> compatibility requires it to be a char. Which means you are limited to SBCS
>> compatible thousand separators.
>
> This is what the Russian user had to revert to, using a normal $20
> (space) character.

So back to my original question....  :)

Due to ThousandSeparator being a Char type, is using  a normal space
($20) the only available option for Russian users, using the current
RTL implementation? Though this might cause issues in text wrapping
routines which can now not distinguish between breaking spaces and
non-breaking spaces.

The only other alternative is writing my own string format functions
like fpgFormatFloat() and hope the users of fpGUI use the custom
written functions instead of the RTL ones.  This also means I need to
implement my own locale variables to be Unicode compatible.  What a
job, for something that seemed so small an issue in the beginning. :)

Regards,
 - Graeme -