[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 10:45:54 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Daniƫl Mantione
<daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Delphi will do char=widechar, which will solve this. It is likely FPC will
> follow, but that doesn't change anything for the situation which is that we
> have a sysutils unit that has not been designed for UTF-8 usage.

So is anybody working on unicode support in the RTL or sysutils unit?
I don't see why we need to be waiting for Delphi, we may not look at
their implementation anyway.  And in the mean time FPC developers like
myself need to keep hacking their code to be unicode compatible, when
unicode support should be in FPC directly.

fpGUI, Lazarus, MSEGUI etc all have their own unicode helper functions
for string manipulation, file access handling etc.... All this should
actually be in FPC itself, not duplicated over and over in user
applications and frameworks.

Regards,
 - Graeme -