[fpc-devel] arm-wince errors

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at quicknet.nl
Thu Jan 4 10:03:37 CET 2007

Michael Schnell schreef:

>> I have created a arm-wince cross compiler installer for lazarus-win32:
>>

>> Nokao tried to use it, but he is getting errors:
>> http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3255
>> (using fpc from 30-12-2006)
>>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> While I was positive that it should be possible / viable to do cross
> compiled Free Pascal projects for ARM targets in Linux (and wince), I am
> very astonished that someone tries to use Lazarus for that purpose. Is
> the goal to use the Lazarus LCL libraries and create a "visual" project
> on an ARM target ? Is it intended / likely that this is possible for
> wince (e.g. PDAs) and Linux (PDAs and embedded projects without display
> using remote X).
>
> As I mainly am interested in embedded stuff, I might like to get
> involved in that project, if the remote X feature can be supported.

I am not sure if we understand each other completely, so let me write my (personal)
view on these things.

FPC is a great compiler, which also can target several OS-es on the arm processor
(linux, wince, gba and lately nintendo ds). I want Lazarus to be the best
developement evironment for FPC (and still a lot has to be done). The FPC compiler
can cross compiler to these arm target, native compilation on the arm is technically
  possible, but not very well tested, because of the memory requirements needed and
a PDA doesn't have a nice screen for editing ;-).

You can use Lazarus to cross compile the application you have written in the Lazarus
editor.

For everything written about, nothing is said about the type of applications,
whether GUI with the LCL, GUI without the LCL or console or no visible display at
all. Lazarus is source editor (with highlighing, codetools and help) and fpc is the
compiler.

Now for at least arm-wince it is possible create LCL applications. For more details
about that look at http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Windows_CE_Interface.

I don't know the status of gtk1 on linux PDA, but if it works, then it may be
possible to use LCL applications on linux PDA's too.

Since I am primarily a windows user, I don't know what you mean by 'remote X
feature' exactly. I am confident that the fpc compiler can be adapted for embedded
arm-linux, Lazarus can be used to interface with the compiler to compile application
for it.

Vincent