[fpc-devel] fpmake listsources

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Aug 20 11:25:57 CEST 2007

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Darius Blaszijk wrote:

> So, to list everything on the package creation;
>
> Can we have fpmake to create the individual packages, or does fppkg need to be
> fed with a list of sources per package and package them. I would prefer the
> first as it will keep the code more clean and will give other users of fpmake
> the ability to create source packages, independent of fppkg. Fppkg should call
> archive (or better call it package) instead of listsources.

There are 2 sides to this question:

I think if we want to use fpmake outside strict FPC-related stuff, then
it's better to have the archiving inside fpmake. So then we must go for
that option. This was also my original idea when implementing it.

The problem with this - Peter Vreman pointed this out - is bootstrapping:
If FPC is ported to a new platform, it means that to compile fpmake,
TZipper should compile, and that in turn means that a whole lot of other
stuff should compile as well. This is why it was decided to move the
archiving to fppkg.

Therefor, my proposal is the following: Both should be able to do archiving.

in fpmkunit, the TZipper support should be in an {$IFNDEF EXTERNALZIP},
the alternative should be calling a regular zip application. The
EXTERNALZIP can be defined when porting to a new platform.

In fppkg, TZipper support can be included by default. The list of files
should be retrieved from fpmake, which needs this list anyway.

> I will also expose the TSources methods AddDocFiles, AddSrcFiles,
> AddExampleFiles and AddTestFiles in TPackage and add these files in the
> archiving process (will have to make sure I don't add files double).
>
> If that's ok with everyone ;)

Perfectly OK !

Michael.