[fpc-devel] Apache modules?

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 10:25:12 CEST 2006

On 7/18/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to web applications.  How does Apache Modules differ from CGI apps?
>
> CGI Apps:
>   * The application executes, creates output and exits.
>   * Nothing stays in memory between user input
>
> Apache Modules:
>   * no idea?

     * You can create a pure cgi program that will stay resident in
memory (mod_per/python  as examples), but you can create extensions
and additional things for Apache itself, such as header manipulation
(that's what mod_security does) or handling of gzip parameters and
much more.

>   * Can things be kept in memory between user input? example: When
> retrieving data from a database, can the connection be kept open?

     * Yes you can. But the hard question is how would you do it ? how
can I know what I should give to specific connection ? if I have 2
communication from the same user, how can I find the difference ? but
basically you can.
        The thing is that you are getting a sub process that keep
execute itself, rather then open a new child, execute things, close
the child and any other connection. Here things keep on running until
you will stop apache.

>   * can I load user data (example: login data) and keep in available
> while the user is working inside the web app?

     * a bad security idea (memory leaks, shard memory, virtual host
issues etc... )sometimes jails are not that helpful.

> Is there a good resource on the web explaining the differences?  Any
> help would be great.

Think about plugins vs content ... plugins are not just for web
application development, but sometimes for the server itself (most of
the time that is), while content, like cgi, just generate data on
demand.

> Regards,
>   Graeme.

Ido