[fpc-devel] Bug: compilation loop in 2.0.2 when using -So

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Aug 17 22:16:15 CEST 2006

On 17 aug 2006, at 21:40, Konstantin Münning wrote:

> There are some other inconsistencies to previous versions of FPC and
> Borland Pascal like assembler syntax and pointer addition
> (inc(Pointer,LongInt) does not work anymore).

Please (as always) post a test program, because it works file for me
with 2.0.4-rc3.

> If someone is interested I can post details. It seems possible to work
> around them.

Always post a compilable program which demonstrates the problem if
you want bugs to be fixed, preferably in the bug tracker at http://
www.freepascal.org/mantis.

> Last thing - size. Program tested results with 1.0.10 in 354KB and
> with
> 2.0.4-rc3 in 515KB. Both with default optimization options and no
> debug
> info. Tried -Og but result was almost the same. Is this the final
> state
> or are improvements to be expected?

Definitely final for 2.0.4-rc3. Make sure you also use -CX -XX to
turn on smartlinking.

It may become bigger or smaller in the future depending on a number
of factors, including but not limited to optimizer improvements,
(smart)linking improvements, routines added to the system unit which
are referenced from the initialization section, effort required to
investigate in detail why things became bigger vs the impact this has
for most people, the fact whether someone who actually cares about
executable file size performs said investigations, and the phase of
the moon.

Jonas