[fpc-devel]Just joined

Thu Jun 20 22:07:30 CEST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Robert Young wrote:

>  Hi I just joined your mailing list so this question may be a foolish
> one.
>
>  I downloaded fpc 1.06 just a little while ago and was paying around on
> NT4.
>
>  I compiled C:\pp\examples\fcl\gtkdemo.pp which compiled fine but when I
> ran it, it was complaining that I needed
>
>  gdk-1.3.dll.
>
>  I was puzzled as to why I could not find a reference to where to get it
> from the FPC site

GTK is a library which we don't make, we just provide units that allow
you to use it. Therefore you cannot download it from our site.

But I will add a link to the official site on our site.

The official site is http://www.gtk.org/

>  which provided the dlls I needed ...BUT now that the demo runs it look
> horrible.
>
>  The spacing between letters are incorrect (about 1/2 of what they
> should be).
>
>  Is this normal?

Well, I would need a screenshot to see how wrong it exactly is.
But do not expect a program which looks 100% like a windows program;
GTK does not provide that kind of functionality. It is a X-Windows
toolkit, ported to Windows.

>  If not where can I get the correct dll's that I should be using.

See the above link. Do NOT download the 2.0 version of the DLLs.
The 1.2 or 1.3 version should be the correct version.

Michael.