[fpc-devel]Just joined

Robert Young robert.young at hksystems.com
Fri Jun 21 20:28:30 CEST 2002

Michael.VanCanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Robert Young wrote:
>

> >  Hi I just joined your mailing list so this question may be a foolish
> > one.
> >
> >  I downloaded fpc 1.06 just a little while ago and was paying around on
> > NT4.
> >
> >  I compiled C:\pp\examples\fcl\gtkdemo.pp which compiled fine but when I
> > ran it, it was complaining that I needed
> >
> >  gdk-1.3.dll.
> >
> >  I was puzzled as to why I could not find a reference to where to get it
> > from the FPC site
>
> GTK is a library which we don't make, we just provide units that allow
> you to use it. Therefore you cannot download it from our site.

Is it not under GNU license? I thought the FPC site can give it away with the
source if they wish.

If it is a band width problem I can try to arrange to give you a box in Canada
to mirror to it, if would help, I have a cable modem connection and about 100G
of space.

> But I will add a link to the official site on our site.
>
> > but through goggle I did find
> >
> >  http://gtk.php.net/download.php
>
> The official site is http://www.gtk.org/

> >  which provided the dlls I needed ...BUT now that the demo runs it look
> > horrible.
> >
> >  The spacing between letters are incorrect (about 1/2 of what they
> > should be).
> >
> >  Is this normal?
>
> Well, I would need a screenshot to see how wrong it exactly is.
> But do not expect a program which looks 100% like a windows program;
> GTK does not provide that kind of functionality. It is a X-Windows
> toolkit, ported to Windows.

[Image]

This is what I meant when I said horrible.

> >  If not where can I get the correct dll's that I should be using.
>
> See the above link. Do NOT download the 2.0 version of the DLLs.
> The 1.2 or 1.3 version should be the correct version.

The app is actually looking for gdk-1.3.dll etc.
Do you mean that gdk-1.2.dll (if it is called this) is compatible with
gdk-1.3.dll
I did find gtk+-1.3.0-20020313.zip on http://www.gtk.org/  but it contains
libgtk-0.dll and libgdk-0.dll are these the same files? Do I need to change
the FPC source to use these?