[Pas2js] pas2js doesn’t support -Sj

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 1 12:15:59 CET 2020

Am 01.02.2020 um 07:54 schrieb Mr Bee via Pas2js:
> Hi,
>
> Just update my pas2js to v1.5 (trunk). It seems pas2js doesn’t support
> -Sj option (writeable constant). Would you please support it? I think
> writeable constant is a design mistake of Pascal language by Borland
> that we have to deal forever. Personally, I always disable it, since I
> knew it could be disabled. FPC should disable it by default too, at
> least on ObjFPC mode. A constant should never be writeable, ever.

FPC values backwards compatibility. As such a mode won't be changed in
such a way that existing code suddenly no longer compiles without good
reason.

Also as I wrote to Michael, the use of writable consts is as static,
scoped variables if one doesn't want to resort to OOP (and for simple
functions that might indeed be overkill).

Regards,
Sven