[Pas2js] Atom & VS Code Packages

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Dec 22 12:45:38 CET 2020

Hello,

Unbelievable as it may seem to pascal enthousiasts, there are people who do
not like to use Lazarus to work on their pascal code.

However, many prefer editors like Atom or VS Code.

For the latter people, I have created the possibility to create Atom packages
using pas2js: the full Atom API is available. VS Code will follow soon.

It has been committed in the pas2js repository, the Atom interface is in
packages/atom/libatom and a minimal pascal application object is in
packages/atom/atomapp.

A demo exists in demo/atom. See attached screenshots for what it does.
(not much, obviously, it is a demo... )

At the same time I have added to the lazarus IDE a new project type, giving
you the option to create an Atom package from within Lazarus.
It creates a skeleton package, much like the 'generate package' dialog in Atom itself.
The project type is integrated in the existing pas2js_dsgn package.

See
https://wiki.freepascal.org/lazarus_pas2js_integration#Atom_package_options
for a desription.

VS Code will follow, hopefully still befor the new year.

Now you may ask:
Why start with Atom and not VS Code, as the latter is meanwhile much more popular ?

Simple:
I myself am an Atom user, and wished to create some private packages for this
envronment... But no worries, VS Code will follow soon.

Enjoy,