[Pas2js] A simple Pas2JS IDE running in the browser

Stephen Wright stephenmichaelwright at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 10:05:25 CEST 2020

 Hi Janusz

I am a little confused about the Pas2JS mailing lists because you have copied me in on your reply to "pas2js-discussions" list while I am on the "pas2js-request" list. In general I prefer to communicate through the mailing list, but maybe I need to join this other mailing list?

Anyway if you do look at XIDE here are some things that might help you to get started......

1) It is a "Web First" approach based on standard HTML components. These are wrapped in order to expose a common subset of properties in an object inspector panel that can then be emulated in Lazarus (using the standard Lazarus widget set wrapped to provide web like behaviour) This allows the core functionality from our browser app to be run in Windows and Linux without needing to change any code.

The exception to this is CSS style rules for widget appearance. because we use standard HTML components they can use full CSS capability. (if running on the browser - we have not attempted to replicate this in windows or Linux). Because CSS can be complex we provide a Style Designer that allows you to add new style rules, select targets widgets and properties using drag and drop. (see the UI/Code/Style designer tabs at the top left of the screen)

2) We only allow UI layout using horizontal and vertical layout boxes. Because these can be nested to any depth this is still quite flexible and has the advantage of allowing percentage values in height and width values so the resulting UI will dynamically react to different screen (or window) sizes.

3) To save and load your project use the system menu and save to the clipboard (if you want to save to disk) or local storage (if you want to work on multiple projects and save them between sessions). If you want to share the IDE with someone, or host it on your own website then use the "System/Deploy" option to get the full IDE. This is a single page web app that runs fully client side. (it is a static HTML page from a server perspective) hence hosting can be very cheap or free.

4) To add code to your widgets, in the UI designer, select the widget you are interested in on the UI Designer tree. Below that tree there will appear two tabs. A properties tab to allow editing of any property, and an events tab. If you select the events tab the list of supported events for that widget will be listed. To the right of each event there is an ellipsis button. Pressing that button takes you to a code editor where you can edit the code for that event. (After creation these events will also be listed in the code designer so you then have a choice of ways to go to the event code)

I understand you have very impaired, or no sight and am curious how you manage to cope with an IDE like this which is very visual in its drag and drop approach to making it easier to code simple web apps.

I hope this helps.

Regards Steve