[fpc-pascal] FP IDE sources

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Mar 14 11:04:26 CET 2024

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Karoly Balogh via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Guillermo Martínez Jiménez via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>> I thought "packages" were libraries not applications, as there is an
>> "utils" directory with programs.
>
> I agree, I'm also not very fond of the IDE being in packages, but most of
> the team considers it a legacy piece of code (which it is, no argument
> there), and at least this way it doesn't need constant special treatment,
> unlike when it was in the root folder of the repo under "ide". It's less
> "in the way".

Still, it is more logical to place it under utils, with the rest of the
programs.

The argument about the time to compile seems simply false to me:

If you consider the FPC toplevel 'make all' as the only command to
issue, then you may win some time, although I doubt it will be that much.

But 99% of the time, you don't need to recompile the utilities.

I certainly do not:
I usually do a make cycle followed by a compilation of the rtl/packages with debug info.

So if we moved the IDE to utils where it logically belongs,
I would actually be winning time, contrary to the argument for having it in packages.

To me it therefore seems a better idea to move the IDE to utils, and to have a
toplevel make command that does the same as 'make all' simply without the
utilities. Or have a 'NOUTILS=1' define.

Michael.