[fpc-pascal] Custom NewInstance allocator

Hairy Pixels genericptr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 10:54:16 CEST 2024

In the manual it at https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refse38.html it says "Calling the constructor will provoke a call to the virtual class method NewInstance, which, in its default implementation, calls GetMem, to allocate enough space to hold the class instance data, and then zeroes out the memory."

I'm trying this like below but it crashes. Is this correct? The fact NewInstance returns TObject instead of Pointer doesn't make sense to me and suggests this isn't correct.

  class function TDataObject.NewInstance: TObject;
  begin
    result := TObject(GetMem(InstanceSize));
  end;

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph