[fpc-pascal] What's in Hello World

Karoly Balogh charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Mon Jan 8 03:45:57 CET 2024

Hi,

On Sun, 7 Jan 2024, Florian Klämpfl via fpc-pascal wrote:

>> Am 07.01.2024 um 13:21 schrieb Ingemar Ragnemalm via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>:
>>
>> Just for comparison, I fired up Think Pascal and made Hello world!
>>
>> Plain Hello world, closes so quickly that you don't have time to see
>> it: 4625 bytes.
>>
>> Including ShowText and while not Button do; 4639 bytes.
>>
>> Yes, less than 5k! Progress?
>
> https://github.com/chainq/amiga-tiny-hello-p
>
> 244 bytes with FPC.

BTW, and while I still stand by the Disclaimer I wrote at the bottom of
that page, this kind of technique can have a real world impact and use.
For example, we made a couple of Windows 4k intros (real time animations
with graphics and music, in less than 4096 bytes!) with Free Pascal using
the same kind of startup-bypass technque - and admittedly, a compressing
linker, called Crinkler. :)

Ampelwürfel:
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=90091
... additional backstory/tech explanation:
- https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=90091#c932283
Binary download:
- https://files.scene.org/view/parties/2021/deadline21/pc_intro/rbs-aw.zip
Direct YouTube link:
- https://youtu.be/Tz_dpKQrQE0

Icecold:
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=94741
Binary download:
- https://files.scene.org/view/parties/2023/evoke23/in4k/rbs-icecold.zip
Direct YouTube link:
- https://youtu.be/z5aR2EfqRgI

Sadly the source for these is not available, AFAIR, but it's basically the
same approach as the Amiga Tiny Hello world.

Crinkler, the compressing linker we used:
https://github.com/runestubbe/Crinkler

Charlie