[fpc-pascal] SeekEof issue & 2020 blog post by A Stolyarov

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Mon Sep 11 11:50:55 CEST 2023

On 2023-09-11 11:08, Alexey Torgashin via fpc-pascal wrote:
> Translation of blog post http://www.stolyarov.info/node/290 from Ru to
> En.
> Sep 6 2020.
> Author: Andrey Stolyarov, author of Ru books about programming.
  .
  .
> Q (reader): Judging by the state of the ticket, has success been
> achieved?
> A (Stolyarov): To be honest, it's not clear - you'll have to pull out
> a snapshot and see. I really hope that this Tomas Hajny didn't
> understand what happens when you open a text stream and ended up not
> being able to do what he wanted to do -- cut off buffering for
> anything that isn't a file. If he succeeded, then "the victory has
  .
  .

"This Tomas Hajny" still believes that a user having a different opinion
on a certain thing doesn't automatically prove that his different view
is wrong. "This Tomas Hajny" tried to provide reasoning on his position
- among others, "this Tomas Hajny" still values consistency among
supported platforms and consideration of various use cases more than
opinions of people only interested in their particular use case on one
particular platform. "This Tomas Hajny" also sees that FPC RTL already
provides variety of possibilities for achieving what the user having a
different opinion intends to achieve. "This Tomas Hajny" understands
that different people may differ in priorities of various arguments
which is why he consulted the topic among the FPC core team. On top of
that, "this Tomas Hajny" has by no means exclusive access to changing
FPC RTL, i.e. any other member of the FPC core team may have decided to
change the implementation according to preferences of the user having a
different opinion.

Tomas