[fpc-pascal] Serial connection via TCP/IP sockets on RPi?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 08:51:04 CET 2023

I am wondering if there is already available what I am needing?
My situation is the following:

I have a remote installation of a measuring equipment, which communicates
through RS232 to an RPi3 interface unit. On that there is a service that handles
the data sent both ways. But it is geared towards automatic operations so there
is no direct connection to the target system.

Now I have a need to debug a Windows application that is also designed to talk
to the same type of equipment via RS232. But the problem is that I am across the
ocean from the equipment, so I need to insert some network link between me and
the remote system.

I have a VPN connection to the remote location so I can work on the RPi3 command
line (and actualy also via VNC on the GUI). So a socket client/server solution
seems possible.

What I want to do is this:
- close down the existing service on the RPi3 that handles the data recording.
- Use an RS232 <=> TCP/IP socket service on the RPi3 to transfer data to/from
the device
- Set up a TCP/IP socket <=> RS232 handler on a local RPi4 in my location
- Connect the Windows RS232 to the RPi4 by wire
- Use the application under debug normally via RS232 from Windows but have the
RPi pair move the data between the endpoint RS232 connections via TCP/IP through
the VPN connection.

Before I start coding the RS232/Socket interface server and client parts myself
I would like to know if someone here knows about an already existing Lazarus
open source project that implements my wanted functionality?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden