[fpc-pascal] Compile time -> processor benchmark values

Marco van de Voort fpc at pascalprogramming.org
Mon May 29 17:14:35 CEST 2023

On 29-5-2023 16:24, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:

> FPC itself is single threaded. So for that the single thread rating is
> more important. However Lazarus (and fpmake) can parallelize the
> building of packages if they don't depend on each other. On the other
> hand this is only really important when rebuilding and not when doing
> normal builds.

Each core above 4 is increasingly irrelevant.

I bought some machines recently, and did test some build times on
Windows for FPC snapshot (clean,build,install, with as many options as I
know):

i7-3770 desktop 142s

Ryzen 5800H laptop  103s

Ryzen 4800H laptop 118s

Ryzen 5700X desktop 89s

Note that some of the 5700X's speed comes from a nearly twice as fast
clean (15s vs 28-33s)as the other machines. The only reason I can think
of for that is that the machine has a retail SSD (Corsair MP510, decent,
but nothing extreme), the other two Ryzens also have PCIe SSDs, but
factory installed.

I tested some of the 8 core ryzens with settings to 6 cores, and the
difference is a few seconds only.