[fpc-pascal] Legitimate use of for and break

Martin Wynne martin at 85a.uk
Sat Jun 17 22:46:21 CEST 2023

On 17/06/2023 19:07, Travis Siegel via fpc-pascal wrote:
> This is interesting, because it's the first time I've ever seen "break"
> as a valid command in pascal, and I've been using pascal since the
> mid/late 80s.  All kinds of dialects too, and I've never seen break as a
> keyword.  C, Python, Perl, sure, even shell scripts, but pascal? Never
> seen it used before.

I've been using break very often in Pascal loops for 25 years since
Delphi 2. Also continue.

My code is littered with:

repeat

  do_something;

  if x then BREAK;

  if y then CONTINUE;

  do_something_else;

  Application.ProcessMessages;

  if key_clicked then EXIT;

until 0<>0;

ProcessMessages allows the user to stop the loop if it is running out of
control.

Martin.