[fpc-pascal] $IMPLICITEXCEPTIONS vs early function return

Hairy Pixels genericptr at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 04:25:16 CEST 2023

> On Jul 14, 2023, at 4:19 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> There is no difference between early return or not, because if the early return isn't taken any other path needs to be protected as well. Thus the whole function is wrapped which deals with all of that - and also simplifies the implementation.

I see so it's really not about exceptions but rather the managed types in general.

The manual says it makes all functions slower, 5-10%?? Does that apply to all functions or just ones with managed types in them? It's also curious why the try..finally block would have the kind of impact, all it does is call finalize functions on managed types right?

Regards,
Ryan Joseph