[fpc-pascal] More syntax questions (part 3)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Dec 24 13:57:52 CET 2023

On Sun, 17 Dec 2023, Adriaan van Os via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>>> 32. Are the set operators "include", "exclude" missing in the syntax
>>> diagrams ? Is "><" missing (specifically) as set operator in the syntax
>>> diagrams ?
>>
>> Include/Exclude are not operators. They are procedure calls.
>
> Section 12.8.5 says "Elements can be added or removed from the set with the
> Include or Exclude operators" and table 12.6 lists them as "Set operators".
> So, that is confusing (to me).
>

>>> 22. Various rules refer to a rule <variable-reference> for which I can't
>>> find the rule. What is it ?
>>
>> identifier.
>
> Can't a variable also be qualified ? Therefore ?
>
> 	variable-reference = qualified-identifier .

Yes.

>>> 41. Is it correct that <operator-definition> is referenced only in the
>>> record <component-list> rule ? I would expect something like an
>>> <operator-declaration-part> in various declaration rules.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, only records support operator definitions.
>>
>> The 'operator' chapter handles 'global' operators which are at the level of
>> global functions/procedures.
>
> Your reply puzzles me.

Your question puzzled me.

> But to parse that, the rules for <interface-part> and <declaration-part> need
> something like an <operator-declaration-part>, don't they ?

Yes, I had come to this conclusion myself, and I added it.

The following zip file contains the updated documentation:
http://downloads.freepascal.org/fpc/beta/3.2.4-rc1/docs/doc-pdf.zip

Besides correcting your remarks, I did a general overhaul:
- I changed the use of space character in syntactic elements to dash (-)
- Improved some diagrams.
- synchronized some syntactical elements.
- Tried to make sure every syntactical element has a definition.

Michael.