[fpc-pascal] More syntax questions (part 4)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Dec 24 13:53:09 CET 2023

On Sun, 17 Dec 2023, Adriaan van Os via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, 16 Dec 2023, Adriaan van Os via fpc-pascal wrote:
>>

>>> More questions about the FreePascal Language Reference (version 3.2.0),
>>> part 4
>>>
>>> 34. Are macpas LEAVE and CYCLE statements undocumented ?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Well, according to Appendix D.6 of the Programmer's Manual, CYCLE is
> equivalent to CONTINUE and LEAVE to BREAK. Contrary to the information
> presented there, the CYCLE and LEAVE statements have been implemented for
> macpas mode.
>
> I don't see BREAK and CONTINUE in the syntax diagrams either. I put together
> some examples (stressing that I am not a proponent of these C constructs).

That is because "break" and "continue" as well as leave are not keywords:
you can use them as identifiers.

As such they are considered normal procedure calls and are documented in the system unit.

That explains why they're not in the syntax diagrams: when they appear, they are
treated as procedure calls.

Michael.