[fpc-pascal] Pointer question

Bernd Oppolzer bernd.oppolzer at t-online.de
Thu Aug 10 13:43:13 CEST 2023

FWIW, when I added similar functionality to my Stanford Pascal compiler,
I chose not to allow arithmetic
of pointers, but instead I added some functions:

PTRADD (p, i) - p is type ANYPTR, i is integer, result is of type ANYPTR
PTRDIFF (p1, p2) - two pointers, the result is integer
ANYPTR is a predefined type, compatible with every (typed pointer)
ADDR (x) is a function (borrowed from PL/1), which returns an ANYPTR ...
and it is allowed for all types of variables
PTRCAST is the same as PTRADD (p, 0) - and is used to cast pointers
between incompatible pointers (not type safe)

Kind regards

Bernd