[fpc-pascal] FPC/Lazarus on RPi4 - How to read/write I2C connected EEPROM?

Jeffrey A. Wormsley daworm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:49:59 CEST 2023

> Page Write ...

What this means is that if you start in the middle of a 64 byte block,
let's say at byte 60 (0 based) which is on page 0, and you write 4 bytes,
then you will write into 60, 61, 62 and 63 as expected.  But if you write 6
bytes, you will write into bytes 60, 61, 62, 63 and then bytes 0 and 1 *on
page 0*.  You will not write into 64 and 65, as those are on the next
page, page 1.  Also, if you start at byte 0 (page 0) and write 128 bytes,
then the first 64 bytes will be overwritten by the second 64 bytes, so when
you send the STOP only that last 64 bytes will be written starting at byte
0, not 128 bytes onto page 0 and page 1 as you might have expected.

You can write a generic routine that starts anywhere and finishes anywhere
on the chip, as long as you keep track of the 64 byte pages.  You may have
a partial block at the beginning, zero or more full blocks, and potentially
a partial block at the end, depending on your start and end address and the
amount of data you want to write.  It is usually useful to write such a
function, because then your high level code never has to know about the
block structure.  It makes switching to different chips with different
arrangements much easier.  You write a .pas file for each specific chip,
but the "WriteData" function is the same for all of them, you only have to
change the uses clause.  OOP makes this even easier, as you create an
instance of the proper chip driver and all of the read/write calls are the
same (at some cost to code size).  Usually, when I do this in C, I create
groups of #defines for the various page sizes, memory size, erase sector
size, and so on, and use an #ifdef to select the correct set for the chip
I'm using, and the code is the same for almost all chips, I don't even need
different source files, just a master .h with all of the chips I support.
I'm sure this should be easy enough to do in Pascal as well, but I must
confess I don't often use Pascal for my embedded work, usually only on the
PC side of things.

Jeff