[fpc-pascal] Converting old pascal written for Pascal/MT+ compiler

tsiegel at softcon.com tsiegel at softcon.com
Tue Apr 4 20:34:10 CEST 2023

I'm not positive, because I've never used them, but I'm pretty sure
variables configured as const, can't be changed once they're defined.
If that's your intent, then feel free to use them, but it sounds like
you're trying to make variables (not constant values) last for the whole
program, with manipulation being allowed.  In that, case, simply define
them in the var section before you do any of the functions and
procedures.  That will make them visible for the whole program, and they
won't go out of scope.  I know many folks contend that global variables
should be kept to a minimum, and scope should be carefully evaluated,
and only allow variables to be usable when they're actually needed, and
to some degree, I agree, but there's times when it's just too darned
convenient to have something accessible for the whole program over
multiple functions/procedures, and in those cases, I see nothing wrong
with having as many globals as you need.

Often, when I'm doing a quick and dirty program, (I.E. one to change a
data file from one format to another), I won't even bother with
functions and procedures, just write the whole program as one big main
procedure, since it's only being run once or twice, then never used
again, I see nothing wrong with this approach either, and in that case,
all variables are global.

No reason you can't do the same, and not depend on quirks of the
compiler to keep your items in scope especially when they clearly
shouldn't be.