[fpc-pascal] FPC/Lazarus on RPi4 - How to read/write I2C connected EEPROM?

tsiegel at softcon.com tsiegel at softcon.com
Sun Apr 2 02:30:02 CEST 2023

Generally, raspberry pi devices connected to other devices will (by
default) use python for their programming.  The python libs have all the
setup and tear down code built in.  You can use C as well, so I see no
reason why FPC couldn't be used.  It's probably going to take some work
though.  You'll need to either find the appropriate python files, and
port them to FPC, or convert the C headers into something pascal can
understand.  I've never made the attempt to do this, though now that you
bring this up, I might just take a crack at it.  Up until now, I've used
C (since I'm not a fan of python) when talking to raspberry connected
devices, but I'm pretty sure I've seen posts where folks were using
other languages such as PHP or Java to talk to the pi devices, so those
header files have most certainly been ported to other languages. It's
possible someone already did the pascal port, though I can't point to
one.  I've not been messing with my raspberry pis for the last year or
so because of moving, and things are just now getting back to normal (I
hate moving), and I need a new pi anyhow, so perhaps I will get back to
it this year, but the reason I say this, is because I've not kept up
with the pi forums, so I don't know what's happening around the pi
ecosystems lately, which is why I can't answer the question directly,
though it's certainly more than possible.

Sorry I don't have more solid information for you.