[fpc-pascal] mciSendString with long file names

James Richters james.richters at productionautomation.net
Thu Sep 22 22:22:52 CEST 2022

Sorry for the confusion.   Let me clarify:

The freepasal program is always run on a Windows system,  mciSendString is a Windows function.  I've seen solutions for this problem that use the NTFS 8.3 Short file name... Which I thought would work, but, for my application it won't work because the file is being loaded off a network drive, and the SERVER for the file is a Linux server.. but even though it's a Linux server, the path on my windows system is still uses backslashes not forward slashes... It's a FreeNAS server with Windows file sharing.  Anyway the point was that only windows NTFS formatted drives have the short file name.. so that solution won't work at all.  I want the program to be able to play the sound file no matter where the file is stored on the network or on a flash drive or a ramdrive.. etc,  and not have a requirement that it is an NTFS drive.

So it has to work with windows paths.  Almost all windows applications just put it in quotes, but mciSendString does not play nice.  I think it was invented during 8.3 limitations and it was only hacked to kind of work with long file names.. not really work properly.  The Alias method does work, but it's not so convenient for Asynchronous mode because it leaves the file open.. if you close it before it finishes playing, it stops and if you wait for it to finish and then close it.. well, that's just not asynchronous.

James