[fpc-pascal] SerReadTimeout question

Christo Crause christo.crause at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 07:51:46 CEST 2022

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022, 03:18 James Richters via fpc-pascal, <
fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> I can't seem to find any documentation or SerRead or SerReadTimeout..
> searching for either along with Freepascal doesn't get me any results.
> If it exists somewhere and I am just missing it, can someone tell me where
> it is?
>
> Anyway, what I'm trying to figure out is when the timeout timer starts...

FPC uses the OS provided functionality to interact with the serial port. On
Windows the timeout seems to start when the read request is made (
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/ff547486(v=vs.85)). On
POSIX (at least Linux) it depends on the specific set of flags specified ,
scroll down to the discussion on canonical/noncanonical mode for the
details (https://linux.die.net/man/3/termios).