[fpc-pascal] pthread_detach

Hairy Pixels genericptr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 14:55:26 CET 2022

> On Oct 30, 2022, at 7:20 PM, Marco van de Voort via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> I'm not that deep into those procedural threading. From what I remember the prototypes are defined, but not their use.
>
> But since tthread works on top of that, you can simply trace how tthread does it, which is probably more solid and up to date than documentation and two decade old tutorials.
>
> Most notably how tthread.freeonterminate is implemented. Some OSes like Windows (that tthread is modeled after) keep some thread resources around to read the result back after the thread is finished.
>
>>  Pthreads at least doesn’t appear to require you to detach the thread but maybe it’s leaking memory then.
>
> The manual you quoted seemed to indicate you either have to call _join or _detach.

Yes you’re right, I didn’t read all the way to the bottom. It says you must call join OR detach to free resources. That doesn’t sound right you could only call join but who knows..

I tried to call EndThread (which calls pthread_detach) after the function reaches the end but I get a crash. Looking BeginThread it appears to call the user callback in a wrapper and does cleanup for you but I’m not 100% clear about this. Docs (https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/beginthread.html) don’t say you must cleanup either so I’m guessing you don’t have to.

Regards,
Ryan Joseph