[fpc-pascal] Cross-compiler for ARM64 on Windows available?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Jun 22 10:57:34 CEST 2022

On 2022-06-21 20:01, Sven Barth wrote:
> Tomas Hajny via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> schrieb
> am Di., 21. Juni 2022, 18:08:

Hi Sven,

  .
>> I just tried to follow the advice above. Compiling the
>> cross-compiler
>> (Win32 hosted) is no problem using the fullcycle target (obviously,
>> could build just the particular compiler for AArch64 instead of all
>> of
>> them, but that isn't important) - so far so good. However, it
>> already
>> fails when trying to build the aarch64-win64 rtl using this
>> cross-compiler, because the compiler complains about missing
>> assembler
>> aarch64-win64-clang.exe. Do we provide (compiled) win32 or win64
>> hosted
>> binutils providing support for aarch64-win64 target? FWIW, I checked
>> the
>> contrib directory on our FTP, but didn't find anything useful in
>> this
>> regard there either.
>
> As is mentioned in my announcement mail for the target it requires
> clang as assembler, not GNU binutils. And we don't *want* to ship that
> as clang provides nice installers themselves.

I can't find any clang installers. Do you mean the 263 MB installer of
the whole LLVM
(https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/releases/download/llvmorg-14.0.5/LLVM-14.0.5-win32.exe
or
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/releases/download/llvmorg-14.0.5/LLVM-14.0.5-win64.exe)?
Moreover, that wouldn't provide the executable aarch64-win64-clang.exe
expected by FPC, would it (unlike the contributed cross binutils
provided by Pierre and some others for other architectures)? I believe
that we should either reconsider the idea of not providing such binaries
ourselves, or change the compiler so that it can invoke the tools as
installed by the installer (or to provide detailed steps necessary for
making this to work as the very least, but my personal opinion is that
this last option wouldn't be the right thing to do in this case).

Tomas