[fpc-pascal] Working on a new way to educate people about pascal

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Dec 29 16:43:32 CET 2022

On 12/29/22 6:40 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal wrote:
> I also had to learn that there are programmers that have not seen a single
> SQL statement in their life :)

i remember working on an inventory program using FoxBase from before m$ acquired
it... i laid out the databases (now called tables) and drew the screens (now
called forms) with the fields for all the information about the inventory
item... i wrote report code the client requested so they could manage their
inventory... imagine my surprise when i was in one day for some updates and one
of the girls showed me some reports i had never seen or heard about...

turned out they were doing basic SQL queries for these reports to get "views" of
the data that wasn't available in the specific reports i had been tasked to
write... things were headed into a more "freeform" format... they basically
needed databases with specific information that they could draw information from...

it was a huge mindset change... almost like having grown up doing pascal and asm
and then trying to figure out LISP on your own in the same way you taught
yourself pascal and asm...