[fpc-pascal] Feature announcement: implicit generic function specializations

Hairy Pixels genericptr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 15:27:31 CEST 2022

> On Apr 25, 2022, at 7:14 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> For some reason I don't get all mails by Ryan, so I reply here:
>
> Helpers currently can't be generic and even if they could be (which I do plan to add) it would require an explicit specialization of the helper to be used because the compiler will not be tasked with searching for potential generic helpers and then implicitly specializing a whole helper type with all its methods to maybe use it for an implicit specialization (and it needs to specialize the helper first to decide whether it even remotely contains suitable methods).

You could do a search for method names and parameters to see if a generic helper was a candidate before specialization. That would reduce the possible space for needless specializations right? For non-object types this would be even less intrusive since it would only be competing with other helper methods.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph