[fpc-pascal] RTLEventWaitFor

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 5 10:23:45 CEST 2022

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Under Linux a RTLEventWaitFor(e,1) usually waits at most 1ms. But under
> Windows it usually waits at least 15ms. It seems to round to nearest
> 1/64 of a second.
>
> Googling this lead me to question the sanity of some bloggers.
>
> Has anyone an idea if this is normal on Windows and if there is an
> alternative?

RTLEventWaitFor uses WaitForSingleObject internally.

According to this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/win32/sync/wait-functions

The system clock (and not some high-performance counter) is used to determine
resolution of the timeout. You could call timeGetDevCaps to check the resolution.

Michael.