[fpc-pascal] Dependency of OpenSSL 1.0.2 still in FPC 3.2.0 on some platforms?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon May 10 09:14:28 CEST 2021

On Thu, 6 May 2021 14:04:07 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 6 May 2021, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>>> I highly recommend Synapse over Indy.
>>>

>> I had great troubles a year or so ago when I tried using some serial packages
>> based on synapse because they brought in GUI stuff that made it impossible to
>> compile a simple program aimed at running as a service on a server style linux
>> box...
>
>Yes, because you were using the wrong package.
>
>If you use the correct package (laz_synapse.lpk), there will be no issue.
>
>See e.g. here:
>
>https://sourceforge.net/p/synalist/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/
>
>But you can install it using the Online package manager.
>In the online package manager, DO NOT use the pl_synapsevs package.
>You myst use the laz_synapse (Synapse 40.1) package.
>It does not have GUI dependencies.

I have now installed  Synapse 40.1 in LKazarus 2.0.12 with Fpc 3.2.0

>I use it myself in a headless FPC-created server running on linux, since many many
>years, and use it in a Delphi-created server also running on linux, so I'm very
>confident it works as described :-)

I have also read your document (pdf):
http://www.freepascal.org/~michael/articles/lazmail/lazmail-en.pdf

But it seems like I still need an example showing how to enable the SSL (port
465) *without* modifying Synapse itself...
This is not mentioned there (also not mentioned are the uses entries for the
example code to work...).

I found this thread in the forum stating that it is written to help for this
problem:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=27222.msg168067#msg168067

But the solution here seems to *modify* Synapse package code itself, which I
think is a very bad idea, especially for code that needs to build on "out of the
box" Lazarus installations only specifying which packages to install.

It is very strange to me.
So a working SSL SMTP sending example (with file attachments)would help a lot
because my mail server demands such validation to allow sending.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden