[fpc-pascal] Dependency of OpenSSL 1.0.2 still in FPC 3.2.0 on some platforms?

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Thu May 6 15:07:26 CEST 2021

On 5/6/2021 7:54 AM, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal wrote:

>> Use package laz_synapse (in online package manager), unit smtpsend.
>>
>> I'm using it in FPC and Delphi even today.
>> In general, it works a lot easier/simpler than Indy.
>>
>> Unless you need some weird/outdated protocols,
>> I highly recommend Synapse over Indy.
>>
> So only if the emailing synapse is guaranteed GUI-free can I use it.
>
> I may even use some external program for mailing by using TProcess to run it....
> But what? THere used to be something called sendmail or similar in Linux but
> right now I cannot see it on my boxes. And I am uncertain if it can do SSL
> logins and accept attachment files.

For some reason, sendmail has fallen out of favor, (likely because of
it's conceived difficult setup), and most linux distros now use postfix,
which in my opinion isn't any easier to configure, but it does allow for
a wider range of options.

If you check your linux boxes, you'll probably see postfix as the mta,
and it can indeed be called to transfer mail from programs. I don't have
any examples of this, but the documentation says it can be done.  I
don't know if there's another program application programmers use, but
with some digging, you should be able to get it to work.