[fpc-pascal] Unicode chars losing information

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 8 15:49:58 CET 2021

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021, Adriaan van Os via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>> You didn't configure your environment to deal correctly with Unicode.
>
> Wow ! what a sentence !
>
> That sounds like "you didn't configure your car correctly to also take
> corners to the right."

A car that does not turn is unusable.

Programs that don't need unicode conversions exist and are perfectly usable.

In that sense, unicode conversion support is something optional and so we
require you to enable it explicitly, since enabling it has some drawbacks:
- Links to C libs if you use cwstring
- Increases your binary substantually if you use fpwidestring and include all needed characters.

Michael.